To take advantage of the services offered by tax clinics, you must meet the annual income criteria provided by the program, depending on your situation:
Number of people
A single person
An adult with one child
Each additional dependent
Some community organizations may set different maximum or minimum incomes than these.
To be eligible for a tax clinic, your tax situation must be considered “simple”.
Complex tax situations are excluded from the volunteer tax program. Your situation will be considered complex if one of the following criteria applies:
- you are self-employed (except in certain situations, if your income is less than $1,000) or have employment expenses;
- you have rental or business income and expenses;
- you sold a residence;
- you own property abroad;
- you have capital gains or losses;
- you declared bankruptcy; or
- you are completing the return of a deceased person.
Taking advantage of available tax credits
Even if you do not think you will have any taxes to pay, it is important to fill out your tax return. In fact, people on a low income might be eligible for many tax credits just by sending in their returns.
For example, you may be eligible for the following refundable and non-refundable tax credits:
Provincial Government - Québec
Federal Government - Canada
Numerous tax clinics for different clientele
There are many types of clinics depending on the clientele and during what period the returns are filled out.
- Clinics for seniors: these clinics only accept people aged higher than a certain age (for example over 50, 60 or 65 years old). Seniors can still receive services in clinics that accept clientele of all ages.
- Clinics for newcomers: these clinics take care of the returns of immigrants who have been in Québec less than 5 years and whose situation may make filling out tax returns complicated.
- Clinics for «everyone»: these clinics are open to everyone on a low income no matter the age.
To find the contact information of a clinic near you, you can contact us by telephone at 211, by chat at the bottom right of this page or by using our search tool above. If you make a search on our website, please be sure to check the territories and clientele served by each clinic. This information is available in each search result.
Please note that the majority of tax clinics offer their services only from February to May. Some may make an exception. Only active clinics appear in the results of our search tool.